Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4th update

Nancy had a restful week in Maui last week.  We stayed with our friends the Brices.  It was great therapy. 

Today she was to start cycle two of the chemo.  Nancy's white count was below the numbers required, so chemo was delayed until next week.  The counts should improve by next Monday. 

Next Monday's treatments will be followed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with booster shots for her white count.  This rountine will be repeated on the weeks of March 18th and 25th.  Nancy's week off is now rescheduled for April 2.  April 2 is a Tuesday, Nancy will be on a Tuesday schedule going forward.

Nancy lost most of her hair in Hawaii.  Her head was shaved on Sunday.  She already has wigs as this is the second time around for this to happen.  She looks great!

One big discussion on our beach walks last week was about the wonderful support for Nancy by all of you.

Thank you all and Mahalo, BC

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

February 12th Update


Nancy met with the Doctor yesterday.  Here are the changes from yesterday:
-The treatment will be 3 weeks on, one off.  Nancy had her second treatment of this cycle yesterday (one day early) as they wanted her on a Monday schedule.  She will have another treatment Monday the 18th, then have the week of Feb 25th off.

-The next check on the tumor markers will be on the March 4th appointment.  The results take about 3 days after the blood draw so we should know about the general cancer activity on March 7th or 8th.

-The next scan will be the last week of March or the first week of April.  This is when we will see and the Doctors can analyze the activity levels in the liver. 

Nancy's main side effect is to be very tired.  Your support has been special.  Thank you!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

February 6th update


Nancy started treatments yesterday afternoon.  We were able to get the echo-cardiogram at 11:30 on the South Hill and got the call to come in at 3:30 for her initial dose.  This medicine is to be taken once per week (no weeks off).  Nancy will lose her hair over the next 4 weeks or so.  We will have more of a review with the Doctor's next week.  Yesterday the key was to get started.

The scan to show progress in treating the liver will around 6-9 weeks away.  We know there will be some other baseline checks (like another echo, etc) coming up.  Nancy has been very tired.

She enjoyed homemade soup from Patsy last night.  Thanks to all for your support.

Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4th update


Nancy was to start treatment this morning, however the insurance denied the use of Halaven.  So.......
they are now trying to get approval for Adriamyacin.  We have not done homework on this one until we know we will be taking it.  Also, this drug requires first an echo-cardiogram baseline (this drug can cause heart issues).  They are trying to set the echo up now.  Hopefully this can be done tomorrow. 

Will try to keep you updated as we learn more.  It has been a hard day of waiting for Nancy. 

Thanks for the support.......

Friday, February 1, 2013

February 1st update


Had a full review today with Dr Anthony.  The cancer is very active in the liver.  Nancy will start an IV chemo treatment starting Monday.  The medicine is called Halaven which is the brand name for eribulin mesylate.  Nancy gets her first treatment at 8:45 Monday.  The schedule is two weeks on, one week off.  There is only one treatment each week. Treatments will go for the next 6 months.  There will be another scan in 9 weeks to make sure this is going after the cancer in the liver.  On a positive note, the cancer in her bones is mostly the same; some spots worse, others a little better. 

Your support has been incredible.  Thank you all.

Monday, January 28, 2013

January 28th post

Last update it was noted that if Nancy's numbers changed much there would be a scan scheduled.  That has happened.  This morning the Doctor called and the results from Nancy's blood tests last week were not good.  So this week Nancy will have a full scan on Wednesday at 8:30 check-in.  Friday we will review the results and also have the Zomeda infusion.  Start time on Friday is 8:45.  Should be able to post an update on those findings Friday afternoon.  Thanks for all your support. 

Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21st update


Had an unplanned visit to the Doctor today.  They gave her IV's and are monitoring here numbers closely.  She will also have IV's on Wednesday and Friday this week (3 times).  If any of her numbers change significantly, they will have a scan done.  The AFINITOR will be here tomorrow am and we restart at the lighter dosage.  Guess it is kind of a tricky time........  will keep you posted.